Wednesday, February 26, 2014

On transparency:


"From what I have been saying, I trust it is clear that when I can permit realness in myself or sense it or permit it in another, I am very satisfied.  When I cannot permit it in myself or fail to permit it in another, I am very distressed.  When I am able to let myself be congruent and genuine, I often help the other person.  When the other person is transparently real and congruent, he often helps me.  In those rare moments when a deep realness in one meets a realness in the other, a memorable "I-thou relationship," as Martin Buber would call it, occurs.  Such a deep and mutual personal encounter does not happen often, but I am convinced that unless it happens occasionally, we are not living as human beings." - Carl Rogers, A Way of Being.  

Many thanks to Laura Hasenstein for sharing this quote during her class! 

No comments:

Post a Comment